Enrollment Lottery Policy
Except for existing pupils at OMI who will fill out an “Intent to Re-enroll” form, if the number of Candidates applying exceeds the number of spaces available for the 2022-2023 school year, a public lottery will be held to randomly select those Candidates who will be considered for acceptance. The lottery if needed will be held March 9, 2022. The Public is welcome to attend virtually. A notification about whether the lottery is needed will be posted to the OMI website at www.oakmil.org by 8 AM on Monday, March 7th, 2022. Please be aware that due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, there is a strong likelihood that we will hold the Lottery virtually. We will provide updates as we get closer.
The following are procedures used for the lottery. The OMI administration will determine the number of available spaces for each grade based on the number of current Cadets who have returned their “Intent to Re-enroll” forms. Generally, there are 120 spaces for incoming 6th-grade Cadets, and each grade level cannot exceed 120 Cadets total, however, the OMI administration reserves the right to adjust those numbers based on class size policies and budgetary considerations.
Per our Charter, preference in the lottery will be given to the following Candidates in this order:
1) Siblings of current OMI Cadets and OMI Graduates
2) Children of OMI employees or board members
3) Candidates who reside in Oakland Unified School District boundaries
4) California residents from outside the OUSD attendance boundaries
All prospective candidates who have submitted a complete application packet prior to the February 18th, 2022 deadline will have their names entered into the random drawing. If needed, separate lotteries will be held for each grade level and names will be pulled randomly and assigned a lottery number. Spaces will be filled as they are available, and those who are not offered a space will be placed on the waiting list in the order their names are drawn.
- Candidates selected in the lottery for an available space must give notification of acceptance by March 24th, 2022, and must attend Parent Orientation with a parent or guardian and successfully complete Summer Entrance Camp in order to qualify for admission to OMI
- Candidates that are placed on the waiting list must attend Parent Orientation with a parent or guardian and successfully complete Summer Entrance Camp in order to qualify for admission to OMI
- Candidates who submit their completed application after the February 18th, 2022, deadline will be placed on the waiting list only after the lottery has been executed, in the order in which they are received. All Candidates must attend Parent Orientation with a parent or guardian and successfully complete Summer Entrance Camp in order to qualify for admission to OMI. Notification will be emailed and text messaged to those late Candidates.
If a lottery is held, Candidates will be notified by email or text message of the results of the lottery and their place on the waiting list if applicable. If a Candidates is placed on the waiting list, their position on the list will only be kept for the 2022-2023 school year. They must reapply for the 2023-2024 school year. If the Administration determines that any information provided on an application has been intentionally misrepresented, the application shall be invalidated.