Oakland Military Institute College Preparatory Academy

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Please Create A Marquee



What is the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP)?

Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) is the newest opportunity for schools to provide breakfast and lunch at no charge to all students in eligible schools. CEP is part of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act (HHFKA) and has been made available to all schools as of July 1, 2014.

How is the CEP program funded?

No school district, city or community funds will be needed to support this program. This is a federally funded program. Federal reimbursement is provided for each reimbursable breakfast and/or lunch (1 per student) served. The federal meal reimbursement combined with the state salary reimbursement and any additional funds obtained from second meals, a la carte items and catering will cover the operational and food costs incurred with operating as a CEP school where all students are provided a meal at no charge.

Has this program been piloted in other states?

CEP has been phased in over a period of three years in a limited number of states as a pilot. Due to the overwhelming positive results and feedback it is now being implemented nationwide.

  • Across the 11 States, 574 Local Education Agencies have at least one school participating in CEP
  • A total of 3,937 schools are currently participating

How long can a school operate as a CEP school before having to reapply?

Once schools are identified as eligible, they will remain eligible for a 4 year period and may reapply before April 1st of the 4th year. Schools may opt out of CEP at any time during their four year eligibility period.

Is there any further action required of the parents or guardians of students attending CEP Schools?

Families will no longer need to complete a meal benefit form or any form of application to participate in this program. Every student enrolled at identified schools will be able to eat both breakfast and lunch free of charge regardless of individual eligibility.

Can I still put money into my children(s) accounts to purchase snacks or second meals?

Students still have the ability to enter money into their accounts which they will need in order to purchase any food items in addition to the first meal provided at no cost.

Will students still need to scan their ID cards at the registers?

Students still scan their ID cards to receive a meal in order for our staff to be able to identify students with food allergies. This will also allow the students to access their accounts to purchase seconds or a la carte items

Will the meal offerings change in schools operating as CEP schools?

CEP will not affect the quality of the meal being served or the daily operation of the cafeteria. Students will find the same great, nutritious meals with no changes to meal quality.

As a parent/guardian, I would like to pay for my child's meals. Am I am able to pay the cost of the meal if my child attends a CEP School?

Parents/guardians can make a donation to the Oakland Military Institute Nutrition Department account, the school or perhaps the school Parent Advisory group if they are interested.

Why did the Oakland Military Institute Nutrition Department decide to participate in the Community Eligibility Provision Program?

It is the right thing to do for our students. Public education is free for all students and students cannot learn without good nutrition. We know the importance of feeding our students and how it relates to their education.


In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.


Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.


To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form (AD-3027), found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.htmland at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call 866-632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:


(1)       Mail:   U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2)       Fax:    202-690-7442

(3)       E-mail: program.intake@usda.gov


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.